Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The End, Music, Church

I suppose it's been a while. I've had a lot on my mind over the last couple of weeks. I got a new job back in Winnipeg. I'm really excited about this new job, it seems like a really great place to work, plus I really wasn't liking the one I have in St. Catharines. But, I have enjoyed living out here. But, I also miss some things about Winnipeg.

I've been thinking about music lately.... Well, I guess I'm always thinking about music, but I've been thinking about music in churches lately. Maybe it's because of the very interesting experience of leading a couple of songs at Providence CRC in Beamsville last Sunday. Or perhaps it's because I've now been asked to sing next Sunday at Covenant CRC in St. Catharines (yup, I'm on a CRC tour right now... good thing I'm leaving in two weeks).

I don't want to sound like a music snob. And I did enjoy playing at Providence on Sunday (mind you, it was just me, so not much to deal with). And it's not that I want things louder, or rockier, or anything like that. I'm a fan of the hymns, of the organ, all that stuff, but it's difficult to put my finger on what makes me cringe about worship at these churches....

I've been listening to Jon Foreman's eps lately. Don't judge him based on his past musical sins, but he was the front man of Switchfoot. His solo stuff is this wonderfully intimate singer-songwriter style, with some great world music sounds thrown in (chinese strings, spanish horns, etc). He's kinda in the same line as Derek Webb; somebody that was the Christian music scene for a number of years, and now sings about some more real issues.

Anyways, I was really hit by his song, "Instead of a Show" off his Summer EP. Here's some of the lyrics:

I hate all your show and pretense
the hypocrisy of your praise
the hypocrisy of your festivals
I hate all your show

Away with your noisy worship
Away with your noisy hymns
I stop up my ears when your singing ‘em
I hate all your show

Instead let there be a flood of justice
An endless procession of righteous living, living
Instead let there be a flood of justice
Instead of a show

your eyes are closed when you’re praying
you sing right along with the band
you shine up your shoes for services
but there’s blood on your hands
you turned your back on the homeless
and the ones that don’t fit in your plans
quit playing religion games
there’s blood on your hands

It blows me away that this is the same guy that was in Switchfoot for all those years.

2 comments:

mmichele said...

wow. i want to listen to that cd.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it, Eric. I hear you... for most of this post. But you say "I can't put my finger on it" and then leave those lyrics. Does the worship feal hypocritical to you? What is it?