Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Long Journey

Wow, Ontario is giant. It just goes on and on for miles of unaltered terrain of trees and rocks and more trees and more rocks, with a few spots of lake. Because of some issues that I had to take care of at the car dealership in Winnipeg, I didn't get out of the city until about 11:30 on Thursday morning.

I had leased a brand new 2008 Honda Fit a couple of days before I left for Ontario. I love the car, it's quick, fun, new, reliable, and really versatile. I spent the beginning of the week packing up all my stuff; some for garbage, some for Tim, some for Value Village, and some to take along. Nicole balked at the idea that I would fit it all in my car, but the Fit did not disappoint, it all managed to make it in perfectly. Not much room for much else though.

I stopped first to fuel up in Ignace, Ontario. I almost had a heart attack when I found out that gas was $136.9 per litre, but after filling up the tank still only had to pay about $35. Not bad at all. Ontario's wilderness continued. I finally stopped for the night in Marathon, Ontario. I wanted to make it further that night, but it was late and raining and I was tired. So after a pit stop at the Travelodge that was on the highway for the night, I continued on. I left Marathon at 8:00 a.m. and drove like mad.

At about 8:30 p.m. I pulled into my Opa and Oma's place in Beamsville, where the family was celebrating Opa's 79th birthday. I hung out there for about a half hour before making the last jaunt to Virgil, where I had arranged to stay with my Uncle Andy and Aunt Marg.

So after a long journey, I crashed for the night, and took care of unpacking and all that stuff on Saturday morning.


Here's a map of the route through the barren wastelands of Norhern Ontario. About 2200 kms in total and about 24 hours of travel time (including stops and stuff like that)

1 comment:

mmichele said...

Barren? There's lots of rocks and trees and moose and deer up there.

Welcome back to blogging. Love the name.