Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Other Side

When I decided to move away from my home in Winnipeg to the relatively unknown that is St. Catharines, I never imagined it would be easy. I worried about finding my way around this new place, about finding friends, about being bored, about being comfortable, but I have discovered those are the least of my worries.

I can't say that I have felt homesick yet, although I am only about four weeks in. There are things I miss about Winnipeg: family, friends, good coffee, church, summer weekends, decent movie theatres, but I think it's mostly a longing for the known.

I like being out in Ontario. Seeing new things, meeting new people, spending time with my family out here; that has all been great.

Never once when I was planning my move out here did I wonder, "what if I don't like my job?"

It seemed like I had done the homework, asked the right questions, researched what the company does.... In the end, I'm finding myself unhappy with my job. Again, I know I'm only four weeks into the job, but I'm getting frustrated with the same things that made me want to leave my last job: Being secluded, little or no interaction with people (my co-workers are 500 kms away), being entirely alone for the 8 hours that I'm working. In fact, I'm more secluded than I was in my last job, there were at least people in the office next to me, and I'd see people at lunch at the very least.... Not so here.

So I find myself wondering about the green grass on the other side.

2 comments:

mmichele said...

oh dear. i never thought of that either... are you bored already? that could be a problem.

Linda said...

That's tough. I remember my job at the WSO was kind of the same. Nobody to interact with. I hope that things turn around and you'll find some job satisfaction.